GEF 53rd Council Meeting
Summary report of GEF-CSO Network Activity and Achievement during 53rd GEF Council Meeting, 25-30 Nov 2017
The 53rd GEF Council Meeting was held in Washington DC from 27 – 30 Nov 2017. The Council approved a work program of more than $500 million that puts a strong emphasis on support for Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and Least Developed Countries (LDCs). The work program, one of the largest in the current GEF funding cycle (GEF-6), spans all GEF focal areas and regions and comprises 83 projects and one programmatic approach. 101 recipient countries are set to benefit from GEF support, including 38 LDCs and 28 SIDS. GEF-CSO Network organized a range of meetings in Washington DC in association with the 53rd GEF Council as follows:
25 Nov - Meeting of GEF-CSO Network Coordination Committee (CC)
The CC meeting was attended by 10 currently elected Regional Focal Points and 2 Indigenous Peoples Focal Point. The meeting discussed a range of matters including how to strengthen the operation of the Network, the status and development of network membership and preparation for GEF-CSO consultation and the GEF Council meetings. Among the important results were:
· Election of a new Vice Chair and appointment of new Secretariat.
· Developed new strategy for funding the operation of the Network
· Input to the new vision to enhance CSO engagement with GEF.
26 Nov - Preparatory meeting for the GEF Council-CSO consultation
This meeting was attended by 33 representatives from CSOs and the meeting discussed and reviewed some of the key issues on the agenda of the 53rd GEF Council meeting and prepared statements for delivery at the council, namely on,
1. Policy on Gender Equality
2. Policy on Stakeholder Engagement
3. Updated vision to enhance Civil Society Engagement with the GEF
4. Semi-Annual Evaluation Report + OPS6
5. Work Program
6. Plan to review GEF’s Social and Environmental Safeguards
7. Rationale and plan to review GEF’s Fiduciary Standards
8. Updated Policy on Ethics and Conflict of Interest for Council Members, Alternates and Advisers.
9. Relations with the Conventions and Other International Institutions
The meeting also discussed the preparation for the GEF Council-CSO consultation on 27 Nov.
27 Nov - GEF Council-CSO Consultation
This meeting was attended by more than 100 representatives from civil society, GEF Council members GEF Agencies and the GEF Secretariat. The meeting included a one hour dialogue between civil society and the GEF CEO and panel sessions to discuss GEF-7 included its programming directions, findings from OPS6 and its replenishment in the morning. In the afternoon, discussion was focused on the proposed Updated Vision to enhance civil society engagement with the GEF and the updated GEF policies on Gender Equality and Stakeholder Engagement in GEF projects and processes. The meeting was very interactive with active inputs from Council members, GEF agencies as well as CSOs.
A report of the meeting, together with the presentations is available [click here].
28 – 30 Nov – 53rd GEF Council Meeting
Around 33 CSO representatives observed the GEF Council sessions by rotation and nine formal network position papers/statements were presented to the council on the agenda items as follows (the statements can be viewed at the Network’s website at [click here]:
1. Agenda 4 – Policy on gender equality
2. Agenda 5 - GEF Stakeholder Engagement Policy
3. Agenda 8 – Updated vision to enhance civil society engagement in GEF
4. Agenda 9 – Semi-Annual Evaluation report
5. Agenda 10 - Work Program
6. Agenda 11 – Plan to review GEF’s Social and Environmental Safeguards
7. Agenda 13 – GEF Policy on Ethics and Conflict of Interest for Council Members, Alternates and Advisers
8. Agenda 15 – Relations with Conventions and other International Institutions
9. Progress report on the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF) and the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF)
To view the joint summary of the Council’s Discussions [click here].
The next GEF Meetings will be held in conjunction with the 6th GEF Assembly in Da Nang, Vietnam as follows:
· GEF Council Meeting, 24-25 June 2018
· CSO Forum, 26 June 2018
· 6th GEF Assembly, 27-28 June 2018